Religious Trauma Resources
Religious Trauma is deeply distressing damage caused by authoritarian and dogmatic indoctrination of practices that result in feelings of terror, helplessness, horror. These repressive religious environments are often coupled with emotional, mental, physical or sexual abuse. The traumatic impact is long-lasting and invasive, altering the trajectory of emotional development and the social functioning of an otherwise healthy person.
Leaving the flock adds enormous stress, as well as feelings of abandonment and alienation. The adjustment to a new life without their social system can be a shock. Sheltered people who’ve been taught to fear the secular world often struggle to find the independent thinking, confidence, and resilience needed to rebuild their lives.
Find support and information on Religious Trauma:
- Religious Trauma Institute
- Linda Kay Klein
- Deconstructing My Religion documentary
- Laura Anderson
- Exevangelical Podcast
- Talk Purity to Me
- God is Grey
- Jo Luehmann
- Mindful Humanist
- Deconversion Therapy – funny!
- You Are Your Own – Jamie Lee Finch
- Do Better Church
- Unchurchable Podcast
- Phil Drysdale
- Nate Postlethwait (and also his @InnerChildChats on IG)
- Clarice Speaking
- Recovering from Religion – Dr. Marlene Winell
- I Survived ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’ documentary
- Shannon Bonne
- Dirty Rotten Church Kids – also funny!
- Christian School Survivor
- Reclamation Collective
- Liane Elle
- Brit Herbert